This simple recipe is from Mely Martínez’ The Mexican Home Kitchen, a book full of traditional home-style recipes from Mexico. With Mexican ingredients and products such as tostadas and refried beans now easier to find in the UK, especially from specialist online groceries, this is a quick and simple meal to make at home.
Read our full review of The Mexican Home Kitchen by Mely Martínez. You can also find a second recipe from the book.
Tostadas De Pollo | Chicken Tostadas
- 1 pound 450 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- Salt and pepper,to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, optional
- 240 g (1 cup) refried beans (black or pinto), warmed
- 12 corn tostadas
- 85 g (2 cups) shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, sliced or diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced (cut just before serving time)
- 60 g (1/2 cup) crumbled queso fresco
Garnishing and to serve
- Mexican crema
- Salsa of your choice
- Pickled jalapenos and carrots
To save time, use store-bought rotisserie chicken breast to make this dish.
The use of garlic powder and onion powder is optional, but they make the chicken extra flavorful.
Season the shredded chicken breast with the salt and pepper, as well as the garlic and onion powders (if using).
Spread about a tablespoon (15 g) of refried beans on each of the tostadas.
Top the tostadas with the shredded chicken, lettuce, a tomato slice, avocado slice, and crumbled cheese.
Just before serving, drizzle the tostadas with the Mexican crema.
Serve them with the salsa and pickled jalapeños and carrots.
If you decide to buy this book after reading our content, please consider clicking through our affiliate link, located within the post and in the footnote at the end.
Kavey Eats received a review copy of The Mexican Home Kitchen by Mely Martínez from publishers Rock Point (Quarto). Recipe published with permission.