It’s well over a year since I first went to Dishoom, London’s first Bombay Cafe, and I’ve been many times since then. I’m a big fan of the food, the interior design and the warm welcome. Find out more about the history of Bombay Cafes by following the link above).
Winter nights darken; streets are gladdened by festive lights; shopping becomes more frantic; partying more hectic.
And Dishoom put on their Christmas specials menu. I went along recently to sample its delights and can give it a big Thums Up!
The menu starts with a warming winter Pimms. Starters include the Dishoom bhel, which is satisfying authentic, but has a single modern addition of bright and beautiful pomegranate seeds. Also served is a dish of sweet crunchy calamari. Based on a traditional lamb raan, Dishoom have created a flaming turkey raan, a whole turkey leg cooked long and slow. Served with Bombay-style potatoes, masala greens and a phenomenally good spicy cranberry chutney, this is a whole new take on Christmas turkey! The house black daal is as rich and satisfying as ever. This comes with raita and your choice of breads. For dessert you could choose a refreshing ice gola but I’d recommend the mini chilli mince pies served with a gently spiced custard are just as good as I remembered from last year!
Last year’s Cognac Chai went down well. This year the idea’s been expanded to offer a choice of four fantastic “Naughty Chais” starting with the original Cognac one, a Baileys one with floating cream top layer, a chocolate option with chai, dark chocolate syrup and a slug of bourbon and my personal favourite, the Chai Egg Nog, which combines egg nog, chai spices and a generous measure of dark rum. All four are wonderful but the Chai Egg Nog is like drinking clouds or downy pillows… I have been dreaming of it ever since and will no doubt make some excuses to drop in for a few between now and Christmas day!
Dishoom have offered a Christmas meal for two for another great Kavey Eats competition.
How to enter
You can enter the competition in 2 ways.
Entry 1 – Answer the question
Leave a comment below, answering the following question:
What are your Christmas dinner favourites, traditional British, Indian or otherwise?
Entry 2 – Tweet
Tweet the (exact) sentence below:
I’d love to win Christmas dinner for two at @DishoomLondon from www.kaveyeats.com #KaveyEatsDishoom2011
Rules & Details
- The deadline for entries is midnight GMT Sunday 4 December 2011.
- The winner will be selected from all valid entries using a random number generator.
- One blog entry and one twitter entry per person.
- The prize includes two cocktails, the full Dishoom Christmas menu for two and two naughty chais.
- The meal can be enjoyed on any Sunday to Wednesday before 24 December. Early booking is recommended to secure a table on your preferred date.
- The prize cannot be redeemed for cash.
- The prize is offered directly by Dishoom restaurant.
- Valid entries must contain either an email address or twitter account, for contacting the winner.
- The winner will be notified by email or twitter. If no response is received by the end of Tuesday 6 December, the prize will be forfeit and a new winner will be picked and contacted.
*If you don’t have a secondary email address already and are nervous about sharing your main email address on the internet, why not set up a new free email account on hotmail, gmail or yahoo, that you can use to enter competitions like this?
Thanks to Dishoom for inviting me to preview their Christmas menu and for offering this prize.