I lied. I’m not offering you a partridge in a pear tree. That’s coming soon. But today I am in the business of sharing some fine game birds, namely partridges and pheasants.
Courtesy of the Wild Meat Company I’ve just taken delivery of their Poachers Delight Game Bird Box.
Inside eco-friendly wool insulation, nestled between a couple of ice packs, are 4 whole pheasants, 2 packs of 2 pheasant fillets, 4 whole red-legged partridges and 2 packs of 4 partridge fillets. The whole birds are oven ready – after hanging for 3 to 7 days they are dry plucked, waxed and eviscerated by hand before being wrapped ready for delivery. The fillets are skinned, prepped and vacuum packed, ready to cook.
I first learned about dry plucking and waxing versus wet plucking on a visit to Kelly Bronze Turkey Farm a couple of years ago. The key benefits of dry plucking are the reduction in damage to the skin and flesh of the bird, a less clammy texture and smell to the skin and an increased shelf life – the heat and moisture of wet plucking can accelerate the growth of bacteria.
With the exception of one stuffed and boned pheasant from Borough Market last Christmas, I’ve never cooked game birds before, so I turned to friends for cooking recommendations. As usual they came up trumps and the recipe below was delicious (though not very photogenic). I’ll be sharing it soon.
Even though I’m a novice game bird cook, I’ve eaten my fair share over the years and can confirm that the quality of produce from the Wild Meat Company is excellent. The birds arrived in perfect condition, on time as promised and with nothing to do but choose a recipe and get cooking.
The Wild Meat Company are offering one reader of Kavey Eats a Poachers Delight Game Bird Box, with free delivery within the UK.
Enter promotional code KAVEY10 to get 10% off all partridge and pheasant products until 28 February 2015. Please note that, as it’s coming up to the end of game bird season, orders for game birds placed after 9 February 2015 will receive frozen not fresh produce.
HOW TO ENTER
You can enter the competition in 2 ways – the more ways you enter, the higher your chances of winning:
Entry 1 – Blog Comment
Leave a comment below, telling me how you’d cook the contents of the box.
Entry 2 – Twitter
Follow @Kavey and @WildMeatCompany on Twitter. Existing followers are, of course, welcome to enter! Then tweet the (exact) sentence below:
I’d love to win a @WildMeatCompany Poachers Delight Game Bird Box from Kavey Eats! http://bit.ly/gamebirds #KaveyEatsGameBirds
(Do not add the @Kavey twitter handle into the tweet; I track entries using the competition hash tag. And please don’t leave a blog comment about your tweet either, thanks!)
RULES & DETAILS
- The deadline for entries is midnight GMT Friday 6th February 2015.
- Kavey Eats reserves the right to alter the closing date of the competition. Changes to the closing date, if they occur, will be shown on this page.
- The winner will be selected from all valid entries (across blog and twitter) using a random number generator.
- Entry instructions form part of the terms and conditions.
- Where prizes are to be provided by a third party, Kavey Eats accepts no responsibility for the acts or defaults of that third party.
- The prize is a Poachers Delight Game Bird Box, as described above. The prize includes delivery within the UK Mainland.
- The prize cannot be redeemed for a cash value.
- The prize is offered and provided by the Wild Meat Company.
- As the British game bird season is coming to a close, the latest date the box can be sent out fresh is the 14 February. If the winner prefers a later delivery, they will receive frozen rather than fresh game birds.
- One blog entry per person only. One Twitter entry per person only. You may enter both ways but you do not have to do so for your entries to be valid.
- For Twitter entries, winners must be following @Kavey and @WildMeatCompany at the time of notification. Blog comment entries must provide a valid email address for contacting the winner.
- The winners will be notified by email or Twitter so please make sure you check your accounts for the notification message.
- If no response is received from a winner within 3 days of notification, the prize will be forfeit and a new winner will be picked and contacted.
Kavey Eats received a sample box from the Wild Meat Company.