2016 has been a full on year for Kavey Eats, with lots and lots of food and travel content.
Read on for my favourite travel guides, restaurants, places I’ve stayed, drinks, food books, kitchen appliances, travel quotes and recipes from the year.
Favourite Travel Guides
This year’s travel has taken me to Germany, Japan, Canada and Portugal…
- Four Fantastic Reasons To Visit Lübeck, Germany
- Visiting the Giant Seated Amida Buddha in Kamakura, Japan
- Visiting Suzuhiro Kamaboko Museum, Japan
- Viewing Sakura (Cherry Blossoms) at Hikone Castle, Japan
- A Food Lover’s City Break in Byward Market, Ottawa, Canada
- 24 Hours in Braga, The Heart of Historical Northern Portugal
Three restaurants in London, one in Dorchester and one in Japan for my favourite dining experiences.
- All The Meat at Blacklock, Soho, London
- The Ninth by Jun Tanaka, London
- Dinner at Hatchetts Restaurant & Bar + The Hatchetts Sunday Roast
- Mat Follas’ Bramble Cafe & Deli, Dorchester
- Captivating Kaiseki Cuisine at Hoshinoya Kyoto, Japan
Favourite Places I’ve Stayed
Both my favourite places to stay were in Japan – one a luxury resort and the other a traditional thatched village house.
- Beauty, Culture & Relaxation at Hoshinoya Karuizawa, Japan
- A Glimpse of Rural Japan at Miyama Futon & Breakfast
Sake and Gin have been the key drinks on Kavey Eats this year.
If coffee, whisky or beer are more to your taste, check out Pete Drinks for lots of reviews.
Favourite Food Books
Not all these books came out in 2016, but they are my favourites of those I reviewed on Kavey Eats this year.
- Pride and Pudding by Regula Ysewijn
- Everyday Harumi by Harumi Kurihara
- Vegetable Perfection by Mat Follas
- Tokyo Cult Recipes by Maori Murota
This year I’ve been making great use of my Froothie blender, my Heston Blumenthal for Sage Appliances Smart Fryer and my Heston for Sage Smart Waffle. (I still love our Codlo sous-vide too, but haven’t posted about it this year. More in 2017!)
- Hestons Triple Cooked Chips (in the Smart Fryer)
- Double Chocolate Brownie-Style Belgian Waffles
- Persimmon & Bergamot Fruit Curd in a Power Blender
- Golden Banana, Turmeric & Maple Syrup Smoothie
Favourite Travel Quotes
In August, I launched my weekly Travel Quote Tuesday series with a favourite from Robert Frost. Each week, I’ve shared another favourite quote on one of my travel photographs. Here are a few favourites.
- Travel Quote Tuesday | Robert Frost
- Travel Quote Tuesday | Roselle Mercier Montgomery
- Travel Quote Tuesday | Mary Ritter Beard
- Travel Quote Tuesday | Maya Angelou
- Travel Quote Tuesday | Mark Twain
I’ve really enjoyed sharing recipes this year and hope to do a lot more of this in 2017.
- Leg of Lamb & Pearl Barley Braised in Red Wine & Balsamic Vinegar
- Marmite Waffles
- Parmesan & Paprika Potato Waffles
- Nectarine, Maple & Bourbon Mini Ice Pops
- Smoked Salmon & Leek Macaroni Cheese
- Smoked Mackerel & Wasabi Paté | Just 3 Ingredients
- Kavey’s Cheeseboard & Chutney Quiche
If there’s something you want to see more of on Kavey Eats, do get in touch and let me know.
Wishing you the very best for 2017!