Kavey Eats 2016 Favourites

2016 has been a full on year for Kavey Eats, with lots and lots of food and travel content.

Read on for my favourite travel guides, restaurants, places I’ve stayed, drinks, food books, kitchen appliances, travel quotes and recipes from the year.

Favourite Travel Guides

2016rounduptravelguides

This year’s travel has taken me to Germany, Japan, Canada and Portugal…

Favourite Restaurants

2016favouriterestaurants

Three restaurants in London, one in Dorchester and one in Japan for my favourite dining experiences.

Favourite Places I’ve Stayed

2016favouritestays

Both my favourite places to stay were in Japan – one a luxury resort and the other a traditional thatched village house.

Favourite Drinks

2016favouritedrinks

Sake and Gin have been the key drinks on Kavey Eats this year.

If coffee, whisky or beer are more to your taste, check out Pete Drinks for lots of reviews.

Favourite Food Books

2016foodbooks

Not all these books came out in 2016, but they are my favourites of those I reviewed on Kavey Eats this year.

Favourite Appliances

2016favouriteappliances

This year I’ve been making great use of my Froothie blender, my Heston Blumenthal for Sage Appliances Smart Fryer and my Heston for Sage Smart Waffle. (I still love our Codlo sous-vide too, but haven’t posted about it this year. More in 2017!)

Favourite Travel Quotes

2016travelquotes

In August, I launched my weekly Travel Quote Tuesday series with a favourite from Robert Frost. Each week, I’ve shared another favourite quote on one of my travel photographs. Here are a few favourites.

Favourite Recipes

2016favouriterecipes

I’ve really enjoyed sharing recipes this year and hope to do a lot more of this in 2017.

If there’s something you want to see more of on Kavey Eats, do get in touch and let me know.

Wishing you the very best for 2017!

Please leave a comment - I love hearing from you!
24 Comments to "Kavey Eats 2016 Favourites"

1. Travelling Tom

I’ve got to say looking through all this food related stuff is making me hungry haha! Looks like you had a great year eating your way around the world! Hope that continues into next year!

2. Drew

Looks like you had a great year in travel and food. Blacklock is a favorite of mine in London. Can’t go wrong with any meat dish there! I actually haven’t been to The Ninth before, and I’m heading to London next week, so might need to check it out.
    If you make it back to London, head out to Bray and go to Hind’s Head, Heston’s classic pub near his high-end Fat Duck. Does a great Sunday Roast featuring his thrice-cooked chips! Worth the trip from London.

kaveyeats

I’ve been to the Hinds Heads a few times, but not recently. Enjoyed it though! Thanks for the reminder!

3. kaveyeats

Thanks Fiona, likewise for your year! And I do hope you make it to Japan soon!

4. Lucy

You have certainly been to a lot of wonderful restaurants, countries and locations! Such delicious recipes too – and all such gorgeous photos! I’m hoping I can visit one or two new places this year.

5. Elizabeth

What a wonderfully adventurous year you have had, and I have enjoyed tagging along with you through your words and images. Happy New Year, and may 2017 be the best year yet!

6. Jo

Looks like you had a fun filled 2016 with great sights, food and swell stays. I really loved the pictures from Miyama Futon – isn’t it fab? Would love to visit one day – maybe when I am in Japan 🙂
    Happy new year and wish you tons of more good stuff in 2017!

kaveyeats

Hi Jo, our visit to Miyama was a really amazing experience, not just the truly beautiful thatched cottage but visiting the local food shop to buy ingredients which we then cooked over the traditional sand hearth for our dinner, and the bamboo workshop we did the next day with a master thatcher!

7. Joan Torres

Japan, Portugal, Canada… It seems that in just a year you’ve been across the whole world! These destinations are so far away from each other! I went through your post about Kaiseki cuisine. It reminds me many fancy restaurants back home in Barcelona. We call this sort of cuisine molecular food. Those restaurants are in fashion today. Cheers!

kaveyeats

Yes, lots of travel and you are right, a diverse range of places!
    I would love to come back to Barcelona now I am better at researching the food options in advance. We visited once a very long time ago. I would say that Kaiseki is a little different to Molecular in that, in most cases, the dishes are fairly traditional. There is a very strong focus on locality and seasonality of ingredients, and presentation is always incredible. The kaiseki cuisine in Kyoto Hoshino was unusually modern, in that it did indeed introduce many more modern techniques, some of which are more like molecular gastronomy. I hope you can experience kaiseki some day!

8. Mar Pages

I also tried Kaiseki Cuisine this year! But I was in Tokyo, not Kyoto. What an absolutely great experience. It’s like art on a plate. It’s so fresh and the chefs are so skilled at what they do. And you’re so right, such attention to detail. Your meal looks absolutely stunning though.

kaveyeats

Yes, it’s very much art on a plate and the skill of the chefs and the presentation of each dish always blows me away!

9. RaW | Ramble and Wander

Okay, I’m so jealous of your trip to Japan during the sakura season! Sakura + castles! Not sure how I would be able to stop clicking my camera when I get to experience that myself one day.

kaveyeats

I took a lot of cherry blossom photos! Too beautiful and too tempting to resist!

10. Mansoureh

2016 was one of the best years in my life, full of food and travels. It seems you had a great year too. what an amazing job you did and brought all together in this post. Happy new year and wish you more travels in 2017

11. kaveyeats

Yes, had lots of fun. I hope you make it to Japan, we love travelling there so much.

12. Christopher

I literally just came back to Toronto from Ottawa. The Byward Market was pretty cool. I love the Hackett that sells the Obama Cookies…lol. We couldn’t get dinner at the place we wanted so we had pizza at The Grand. Then Beaver Tails for dessert. This is a great post.

Please leave a comment - I love hearing from you!