I recently reviewed new cookery book release, Ferment Pickle Dry. This lovely book by Simon Poffley and Gaba Smolinksa-Poffley shares a wide selection of recipes for preserving food by fermenting, pickling and drying. More unusually, the book also provides ‘partner recipes’ that showcase how the preserves can best be put to use in your cooking.
Two lucky readers can win their own copy of Ferment Pickly Dry in my giveaway but everyone can enjoy these delicious kimchi recipes from the book, which publishers Frances Lincoln have given me permission to share with you.
Book cover, carrot kimchi (left) and baby courgette kimchi (right) – images by Kim Lightbody
Extracted from Ferment Pickle Dry by Simon Poffley and Gaba Smolinksa-Poffley
Prep 15 minutes + 3-day process Ready 10–14 days
Makes approx 500ml/18fl oz jar
10 tbsp (100g/3½oz) coarse sea salt
1 tbsp gochugaru (Korean hot chilli flakes)
2 large leaves napa (Chinese) cabbage, chopped
50g/1¾oz (10cm/4in long piece) large leek or ½ bunch of spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
10 large garlic cloves, grated
2.5 cm/1in piece (25g) piece of ginger, skin scraped and grated
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp white miso paste (optional)
- Peel, deseed and cut the pumpkin into rough squares and rectangles of no more than 1cm/½in thick and place in a large bowl.
- Add the salt and mix together until the pumpkin is coated. Cover and leave to stand at room temperature overnight.
- Rinse the pumpkin well, washing off all the salt.
- Place all the ingredients for the paste in a blender and blitz until smooth. Add the paste to the pumpkin and mix until it is coated.
- Place the pumpkin in a large sterilised jar P12, seal with the lid and leave to stand at room temperature overnight.
- Place the jar in the fridge and leave to chill for 10 days, then taste to check if it has fermented enough for your liking.
- It can be stored in the fridge for 3–5 weeks. The flavour will become stronger over time.
This recipe extract was published with permission from Frances Lincoln. Ferment Pickle Dry is currently available from Amazon UK for £16.59 (RRP £20).