‘When you have a waffle maker, everything looks like a waffle!’ So says a dear friend of mine and I reckon he’s not wrong.
It’s full steam ahead on the waffle wagon here at Kavey Eats and today it’s the turn of the humble potato. Our first experiment with potato waffles used mash potato mixed with egg, a little flour, a little cheese and seasoning. The idea worked pretty well but the waffles were a bit of a faff to make, a little bland and they didn’t crisp up as we’d hoped.
So my next thought was to try the potato rösti route. I recently had great success in adapting potato rösti into a pizza base, so I was hopeful it would make a great waffle.
For our first attempt we completely winged it, guestimating quantities and method by eye, and assuming we’d need to tweak the recipe at least once or twice before it was ready to share. But we totally nailed it on the first attempt and I’m urging you to make these for yourself and tell us what you think!
You need just three core ingredients plus a little oil to create these crispy-surfaced, gooey-centred waffles with a gentle smoky flavour and heat from the paprika.
Parmesan & Paprika Potato Waffles
Makes 4 waffles in the Smart Waffle maker
500 g raw potato, grated
2 tbs vegetable oil
100 g parmesan, finely grated
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Note: I used La Chinata smoked paprika which has a wonderful flavour and a nice kick of heat.
- Preheat the waffle maker.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil through the grated potato and microwave until soft; 3-4 minutes.
- Mix the paprika through the grated cheese and then add to the cooked potato.
- Mix well to distribute cheese throughout the mix.
- Spoon a quarter of the mix into each side of the waffle maker and close, and leave to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove and set aside on a hot dish or in a very low temperature oven for a few minutes until all the waffles are ready.
- Repeat with second half of the mixture.
- Serve hot and crisp!
You may also enjoy these savoury waffle recipes from fellow food bloggers:
- Cornmeal Waffles on Beyond Mere Sustenance
- Courgette Quinoa Waffles on Rough Measures
- Plantain Waffles on Recipes from a Pantry
- Potato Waffles on Amuse Your Bouche
- Sweet Potato Latkes on Family Friends Food
Kavey Eats received a Sage by Heston Blumenthal The Smart Waffle for review. As always, I was not expected to write a positive review; all opinions are my own and I recommend only products I truly believe in. This post contains affiliate links; please see my sidebar for further information.