The quiche he made with half of it the next evening was so fantastic that I begged him to make it again the next night. Begged!
My cries went unheeded for three whole days! He made me wait till Friday before he gave in and made it again. And yes, it was just as delicious.
Be warned though, even though the courgette is salted and squeezed out before cooking, it still releases moisture during cooking and creates a bit of a soggy bottom. Mary Berry might not approve but it didn’t bother us a bit!
Pete’s Courgette, Blue Cheese & Cherry Tomato Quiche
1 packet (320 grams) ready rolled shortcrust pastry
500g grated courgette
100g blue cheese (we used Stilton but any good blue will be fine)
2 large eggs
200ml single cream
Handful cherry tomatoes
Note: of course you can make your own shortcrust pastry, or buy it in block format and roll it yourself. From a 320 gram packet, there will be a little leftover, which you could use to make jam tarts or individual pies.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (fan).
- Line an 9 inch (23 cm) flan dish with the pastry. The rolled sheet will be slightly too narrow so cut off one end and use to complete the circle.
- Line with foil or parchment, fill with baking beads (or rice) and blind bake until golden; about 15-20 minutes/
- Grate the courgette, add a teaspoon of salt, mix well and leave to drain in a sieve or muslin draining bag for about an hour.
- Once the tart case is baked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.
- When ready to assemble and bake the quiche, preheat the oven to 170 °C (fan).
- Crumble the blue cheese across the base.
- Squeeze as much water as you can from the grated courgette and layer over the blue cheese.
- Beat the eggs and cream together.
- Pour the eggs and cream gently over the courgette and blue cheese.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and place onto the tart, cut face up.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the filling has firmed up and taken on a little golden brown colour.
- Best enjoyed hot but can also be served warm or cold.
For more courgette recipes on Kavey Eats see:
- Puff Pastry Cheese, Courgette & Mint Tart
- Sausage Ragu Stuffed Courgettes
- Quick Courgette & Blue Cheese Soup
- Courgette, Goat’s Cheese & Mint Frittata
- Pete’s Courgette Saka
For courgette inspiration from others, see my suggestions at the bottom of this post.